Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Finally Got the Front End Off...

Its amazing what the right tools can do for you!  Today I managed to get the fenders and front bib off.  The fenders were the main challenge...getting to the four bolts that held it to the frame of the car.  Not only were they behind the front tires...I had brake lines...rubber ones...and the steering arm on the drivers side in the way.  I had penetrating fluid soaking the bolts for several days since they were very rusted in place.  Unfortunately my socket set is too deep to to allow me to use it on those bolts...and the wrench was just not doing the trick...so I made a trip to Lowes to pick up a shallow socket set.  It did the trick...was able to get the 1/4" drive and shallow socket in there and had the fenders off in just a couple of minutes!  Next was the front bib...I was able to get the shallow sockets back behind it and again...the bib was off in just a couple of minutes.  It will definitely be easier to work on the motor, suspension and steering with everything off the front.  Next I worked on the heating system...its off the car and ready to be overhauled.  I finally decided it was time to clean up and do a few odds and ends.  I worked on wire brushing the aprons and one side is done.  I think I have finally come up with a technique for removing paint...use stripper and scrapper first to get the worst of it off followed by the wire brush to get what the stripper leaves behind.  Its a long process, but leaves the metal ready to be primed.  Next up...working on getting the dash done...its a mess of wires and I have a feeling won't be an easy task...







No comments:

Post a Comment