Total Pageviews

Monday, November 11, 2013

Floor is Done, Body is off to Paint, Roll Bar Complete

Lots of progress over the past few weeks.  A majority of  the time was spent finalizing the body work and finishing the floor.  The body work turned out great with the rear sill, running boards, the tailgate and tire carrier all lining up nicely.  I finished drilling out all the holes and made sure all the filler was sanded down where I thought it was good.  The body looks awesome!  As for the floor...I decided to go with Raptor Bedliner since I could source it locally for cheaper than I could have most anything else shipped.  The process starts with cleaning the floor to remove contaminants and make sure the surface is clean.  Next up was putting down acid etch primer.  This allows whatever you put on top to adhere better to the bare metal.  I was able to use a brushable version which saved a bunch of money, rather than buying multiple cans of aerosol.  The primer required some curing time once finished.  The final step was laying down the bedliner.  It is a two part...so you mix, and use a paint roller to paint it on.  I ended up with 3 coats down with the option of doing a fourth in the future with the left overs.  I think the floor turned out great!  The bedliner should keep it from rusting every again and provide extra protection from scuffs.

Next up was working on getting the body to the paint shop.  One of the families at church brought over their truck and trailer and several guys from work helped load it on the trailer.  The body was strapped down and we made the trip without any issue.  I think John at the paint shop was happy with the body work and said it shouldn't take more than 1-2 weeks to finish.  In the meantime I brought home just about everything else from the paint shop and it all looks great!  Otherwise I've been polishing the chrome pieces which were mostly spray painted over.  They turned out very shiny given the state they were in.  I also sanded down and prepped the roll bar for paint.  It looks brand new!  So...the next post should have the body back from the paint shop and back on the frame...progress!









No comments:

Post a Comment