Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Rusty Surprise!!

Well...the last couple of days have continued to be nice as can be...so I've spent time out on the Cruiser.  Mostly I've been working on stripping paint.  I have managed to get the rear upper sides stripped and one side completely wire brushed to a metal finish.  I also managed to get the hood in the same shape...stripped, wire brushed and sanded...at least the outside.  I've been pretty surprised at how clean it is with only a bit of surface rust on the inside where something splattered on the paint...batter acid maybe?  But for the most part its been pretty clean.  Well my main goal for today was to get the roll cage completely out.  It has been loose for some time...but the mounting brackets in the front wouldn't allow it to be lifted out.  So I finally got the bolts out of the mounts and lubed up...and a few swings of the sledge hammer later...its out!  I didn't find anything that I wasn't expecting.  RUST!  It wasn't too bad under the roll cage, but its a bit more than just surface rust.  The other bad spot was just above the rear sill...along the side channel.  I got the filler out of it and wow...what a hole.  I have a feeling it will be a tough fix, but we'll see.  I already know I'll be cutting some of that area out anyways, so what is a bit more right?  Anyways, I'm sure I'll continue the paint removal process through the next few days...time consuming but so far I've been pleased with the outcome...





No comments:

Post a Comment